How do you add a popup to your Shopify store?
If you’re already a Shopify user, you might already know this answer to this question: There’s an app for that!
Actually, there are 360 apps for that.
Finding the right app can become a nightmare when you have so many choices.
That’s why, as popup experts ourselves, we wanted to share some pointers to help you find the app that will work for you.
Why Do Popups Matter?
Before diving into the whole app choice process, let’s tackle a major question first. Why are popups such a big thing in the Shopify community?
It all starts with email marketing.
According to Shopify, email marketing is one of the main levers you should consider adding to your marketing strategy.
But email marketing means you have to be able to collect email addresses in the first place. That’s where popups come into play. A lot of studies show that they are the surest way to build an email list.
In fact, popups work so well that they’ve become a standard: About 50% of Shopify stores use popups.
When Should You Use a Popup?
These numbers might make you think that creating a Shopify pop-up is always a good idea.
In fact, it’s not.
Before jumping into an app and starting to create a modal, it’s worth asking yourself a few questions:
- Have you already set up and configured an email service provider?
- Have you created an automated email sequence, or at the least, are you sending out newsletters?
- Do you have enough traffic to collect emails? (For reference, popups convert, on average, 3.75% of visitors into subscribers, so if you get fewer than 1,000 visits/day, it isn’t worth breaking your neck over.)
If your answer was yes to these three questions, then it’s time to take the next step.
If your answer was no, you’d better secure your email marketing basics before creating your first popup.
What Is the Best Popup App for Shopify?
If you’re familiar with the Shopify ecosystem, you’ve probably noticed that marketers rely on an ever-growing selection of apps to cover most of their needs. This is true for pop-ups, too.
This is why picking the best pop-up app is not an easy task. No one has enough time to set up and test hundreds of apps.
It’s also hard to stay objective when you’re working for one of the developers of such an app.
In this section, we’ve tried our best to:
- Prepare a selection of the best apps available
- Present an unbiased evaluation based on features
- Explain how we made our choices to help you make yours
How We’ve Selected the Apps to Feature
Let’s be honest: With 360 pop-up apps available, it wasn’t easy to select only 5.
To prepare our selection, we relied on the following criteria
- The App must have been approved by Shopify: We’ve kept only solutions that are featured on the App Store.
- The app must have a decent user base: We’ve focused on popular apps. The apps we included were either on Google’s first page or listed among the most popular popup apps on the Shopify store.
- The app must have a 4+ star rating on the App Store.
But that wasn’t enough. So we refined our selection manually. We tried to include a wide range of apps, from affordable apps to advanced apps; from apps that let you build your popup from scratch to apps that only let you customize the copy, etc. We also focused on apps that integrated deeply with Shopify (more about that below).
Our Selection And Evaluation
Here are the results of our evaluation:
|App store rating||5/5||4.6/5||4.8/5||4.7/5||4.7/5|
Paid plans from $3,99/month
Paid plans from $12/month.
Paid plans from $20/month
Paid plans from $29/month
|Suppport||Live chat||Live chat|
|Custom popup design||Yes||Limited||Limited||Limited||Yes|
|Deep Shopify integration||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Exit popups||Yes||Yes (Paid feature)||Yes (Paid feature)||Yes||Yes|
|Frequency controls||Yes||Yes (Paid feature)||Yes (Paid feature)||Yes||Yes|
And here are some more details about our evaluation criteria:
- Custom popup design: We checked to see if the app let you edit the popup copy, customize a template or design your own popup.
- Deep Shopify integration: We looked at the integration between the app and Shopify. Does it let you target visitors based on their cart value? Does it allow you to display popups on out-of-stock items?
- Email integrations: We counted the number of direct email integrations.
- Mobile popups: We checked whether the tool included an option to comply with Google’s guidelines on mobile popups.
- Frequency controls: We checked if it was possible to select how often a popup should appear for a given visitor.
Note: We didn’t include GDPR criteria because it’s hard to evaluate the compliance from the outside. How could we tell if the servers are secured? If the provider is working with GDPR-compliant partners?
How to Choose the App That Works Best for Your Store
As this selection shows, there are a lot of serious solutions available on the market.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to choose the app that works for you.
Here are a few questions to help you make a choice:
- How much do you want to customize the popup? Would a basic design work for you?
- What level of reporting do you need? Are you the kind of user who’s spending hours in Google Analytics? Or are you fine with a simple new subscribers counter?
- What email solution provider do you use? Does the app that you plan to use on your Shopify store integrate with it?
- Do you need advanced targeting and segmentation rules?
- And – of course! – how much are you ready to pay for this tool?
In an ideal world, there would be a Shopify app that works for all stores. Unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all app for popups. As one of your websites’ most important conversion rate tools, it’s worth spending some time on before making a decision.
Once you’re ready to start with popups, make sure to check out our extensive introduction to Shopify popups.