Popup builder software is an excellent tool to get leads, sales, customer feedback, and even social media followers.
Sounds like something you could use on your website, right?
That’s why most app stores are full of popup software apps. So choosing one could be a bit daunting, especially when many apps have similar features.
If you’re looking for a new popup builder app, this guide has the best options for any business and situation.
In this guide:
- Seven must-have features to look for in popup builders
- 11 best popup creators for businesses
How to Choose the Best Popup Builder Software?
The best popup software makes complex marketing simple.
You should be able to create popups, set up campaigns, target custom audiences, track results, test campaign variations to find those giving the most value, and synchronize data with a CRM/email marketing tool.
That’s all in one app.
That’s why the best popup software has these features:
- Simple popup editor — you should be able to create beautiful and high-converting popups with no coding or web design skills.
- Library of ready-made popup templates — you need to have a choice of popup templates for different marketing goals (promotions, upsell, lead generation, etc.)
- A/B tests feature — best software can run popups with different design/copy/CTA versions at the same time. And you should have all performance indicators such as conversion rate or CTR for comparison.
- Campaign analytics — measuring something gives ideas for improvement. You should be able to track campaign metrics (impressions, clicks, CTR, emails captured, etc.) and enjoy seamless Google Analytics integration to track your website goals.
- Advanced targeting options — simple popups that get displayed every first-time visitor aren’t enough to reach your goals. The best popup software should have targeting options to show the right popup to the right visitor, at the right time.
- Integration with popular apps — you should be able to sync and send lead data (e.g., emails or phone numbers) automatically to your marketing tool/CRM.
- Responsive customer support — best popup software should be easy to use from the get-go. But if you have any questions about advanced features, you should get a quick and helpful answer from a real popup expert.
Okay, so now we know more about what’s considered “the best popup software.”
These 11 popup builders meet our requirements.
Wisepops is an on-site marketing platform for online stores and B2B businesses. Whether you want to convert traffic, collect feedback, or share promotional messages, Wisepops has everything to get the job done. With ready-to-use templates, numerous customer targeting options and 30+ integrations (including Zapier), you can achieve marketing goals on autopilot.
- User-friendly drag-and-drop popup editor
- Integration with 30+ popular apps (e.g. HubSpot, Salesforce, MailChimp, Pipedrive, Zapier)
- Dynamics “Embeds” for adding videos, sign-up forms, promotions, surveys, or CTA within your website with no coding skills
- Over 50 popup templates for marketing, shopping cart recovery, customer surveys, social media invitations, and other goals
- Powerful targeting options for any goal (30+ options): exit-intent, scroll deep, specific URL, browser, device, custom properties, and more.
Wisepops has plans for businesses of all sizes.
Small websites can get the cheapest plan for $29/mo (50,000 pageviews). For growing businesses, a $49/mo plan for 100,000 pageviews or a $99/mo plan with 250,000 views are enough to build a huge email list and increase sales. Large online stores might consider a plan for 500,000 views ($129/mo) with advanced analytics or even up to 1 million views.
But if you’re an enterprise or a marketing agency, you can go for a custom plan. A great thing is that all plans have unlimited campaigns and leads, so you can try any strategy. There’s also a 14-day free trial with all features, and you don’t need a credit card.
Who is Whisepops for?
Wisepops is chosen mostly by online stores, high-traction B2B companies, and marketing agencies.
Wisepops reviews on Capterra mention that customers love its simple interface, high-converting templates, and campaign reporting. So, online stores have a lot to gain from turning website popups into sales channels with Wisepops.
Wisepops also has a 4.9 rating from Shopify users. They say they collected thousands of emails thanks to easy campaign automation. Some reviews mention increasing conversion rates by up to 30% with powerful targeting options that allowed finding highly qualified prospects.
Wisepops also has useful features for B2B businesses and marketing agencies. You can easily run and track campaigns for different websites and users.
OptinMonster is a robust lead generation platform with popups, created for professional marketers and large eCommerce stores. This app has a great range of lead generation features and campaign planning options for businesses of all sizes.
- Ready-made templates for email capture popups and forms
- Targeting and behavior automation engine to personalize campaigns
- A/B testing and campaign monitoring to find the best-performing tactics
OptinMonster offers neither a free plan nor a free trial. But there’s a basic plan for $14/mo with several popup types. Exit-intent popups and all other campaigns are available in the Pro plan for $47/mo.
Who is Optinmonster for?
OptinMonster is suitable for marketers who are familiar with setting up complex popup campaigns. Numerous lead generation tools, 40+ pop up window templates, and basic analytics should help make most of the lead generation strategies successful.
Keep in mind that OptinMonster charges clients annually. This means you’ll have to use this popup tool for a year. This is a huge commitment, but you’ll get some of the most advanced popup technologies in the market.
|Wondering what popups you could add to your store? Here are 36 Examples of Email Popups From Real Online Stores to help you choose.|
Privy is a marketing platform for email and SMS marketing that also includes popups. The app has a healthy 4.6 rating on Shopify and provides a decent range of popups, bars, and banners for online stores. The range of features makes Privy a good option for small online stores.
- Many targeting rules to personalize popup campaigns
- Drag-and-drop popup designer to create popups with no experience
- A/B testing of popup campaigns to find the highest-converting popup options
Privy has a free plan for popups, but it’s limited to 5,000 monthly pageviews and few marketing campaigns. There’s also a Privy Convert plan for $20/mo which adds upsell, cross-sell, and advanced customer targeting.
Who is Privy for?
Privy is a popup software option for online businesses with low traffic. Why low? If you have a lot of traffic, Privy could become a little bit expensive because pricing is tied to the number of contacts you acquired. But creating and running popup lead generation campaigns is easy, so this free popup software should be good for beginners.
If you’re a business owner who needs a complete marketing app that includes popups, and you’re beginning your business adventure, Privy might be a good idea. It comes with email and SMS marketing, so you can try those, too.
|Newsletter signup forms are essential for building an email list. This Guide to Creating the Best Newsletter Signup Forms will help you collect visitors’ emails on your store.|
Justuno is an eCommerce growth platform with popup tools for email capture. You can add website popups and bars and show promotional offers and coupon codes. Combined with a free plan for Shopify, this popup software is a good lead generation option for small Shopify stores.
- Fully customizable popups for email and SMS capture
- Unique promotions for mobile users with cross-device tracking
- Targeting options for personalized marketing with popups
- Pre-made templates for popups and campaigns
The most affordable Pro plan costs $29/mo and works for 10,000 monthly visitors. An upgrade to 25,000 sessions will cost $49/mo. Shopify businesses can try a free plan for 5,000 monthly visitors.
Who is Justuno for?
Justuno has both lead capture and sales features, so it’s an option for converting and retargeting new and existing customers.
This popup builder checks all “must-have” boxes. There’s a popup template library, advanced targeting (time on website, geolocation, etc.), and pre-built campaign flows. Plus, there’s a nice perk: cross-device tracking to show unique offers to mobile visitors.
|Want to get more customers’ emails with popup campaigns? This guide on choosing the best campaign types for specific pages should help: 9 Popup Campaigns to Boost Your E-Commerce Strategy (and Grow Your Sales)|
Sleeknote is a widely-known lead generation platform with sales features. There’s a wide range of popup templates, so it’s possible to try any kind of campaign. One of the most feature-rich popup software in the market, Sleeknote is also one of the most expensive ones.
- Easy-to-use popup creator with drag-and-drop features
- Massive popup library with templates for every occasion
- Integration with email marketing apps to build a segmented list of subscribers automatically
You’ll have to pay $58/mo to use the most affordable plan for 25,000 monthly visitors. Sleeknote’s plans include most features (hence the high price) but differ in visitors. The most suitable plan for a mid-sized business is for 125,000 visitors and costs $135/mo.
Why choose Sleeknote?
Sleeknote can be a go-to popup software for businesses looking for massive eCommerce growth. Thanks to a great range of features, business owners can try any lead generation tricks or techniques they want.
But the high price makes Sleeknote a popup tool option for mid-sized and large websites with a significant marketing budget.
|Lead generation is possible even when telling customers that a product is sold out. Victoria from Christy Dawn store tried a website popup for that: How Christy Dawn Generated 37% More Emails Leveraging Out of Stock Product Visitors|
OptiMonk is one of the popular popup software options primarily because they offer a free plan for 3,000 pageviews. This plan could be enough for a small or new eCommerce website to try simple marketing and lead generation with popups.
In terms of features, OptiMonk has popups to collect email addresses, share product recommendations, recover abandoned carts, and promote special offers. Gamification popups to bring fun and increased appeal are also included.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop editor to create popups without coding
- Campaign scheduling for seasonal offers and holiday specials
- Pre-made popup templates for lead generation and abandoned cart recovery
You can use OptiMonk for free for 3,000 monthly pageviews. Paid plans for growth cost $79/mo (100,000 pageviews) and $199/mo (500,000 views).
Who is OptiMonk for?
OptiMonk has a decent pack of features for businesses of all sizes. This popup software comes with a simple builder, many templates, and automation—everything for lead generation.
But there’s not a lot of pageviews in the free plan to get appreciable results, so choosing a paid plan might be a better idea.
|Survey popups, exit-intent popups, promotional popups… What are other ways to collect visitors’ emails? These 8 Ways to Collect Emails On Your Website should give you more ideas.|
7. Hello Bar
Hello Bar offers two lead generation options: a website bar and an exit-intent popup. The bar appears on the top of a web page and is perfect for making product-related announcements. The exit-intent popup consumes the entire screen to get visitors’ attention.
- Exit intent popup to get emails of visitors
- Targeting features to customize the content of popups
- Welcome bar to greet visitors and share news, promos, and announcements
- Design tools to customize the bar and the popup to match website colors
You can use Hello Bar for 5,000 monthly pageviews for free. Paid plans cost $29/mo (50,000 views) and $49/mo (150,000 views). The Elite plan with all features is priced at $99/mo.
Who is Hello Bar for?
Hello Bar’s free plan could help blogs and B2B businesses to get newsletter subscribers and generate leads. A bar can be helpful to announce sales, events, and special offers while the exit-intent popup can generate leads.
|When should your website show popups to collect more emails? This guide has answers: Popup Timing: This is How to Discover the Best Time to Display Your Offer|
Popupsmart is one of the simple popup software apps that focuses on building email lists and increasing sales. You can install and start using this free popup software in minutes without coding, so it’s a beginner-friendly option.
- Impressive popup template library with hundreds of options
- Smart Editor that makes creating popups straightforward for beginners
- Targeting options for more effective lead generation and remarketing campaigns
No free plan. The most affordable subscription for five popup types and 25,000 pageviews costs $9/mo. If you’re a business owner looking to achieve fast growth, consider trying the Pro plan with unlimited popups and 500,000 views for $79/mo.
Who is Popupsmart for?
Popupsmart is built to optimize conversions with popups that collect emails and phone numbers, so it’s suitable for B2B businesses and bloggers. This popup software also has decent eCommerce features for small and mid-sized online stores to do lead generation and remarketing.
|Having too many visitors leave without buying? Ask them how to improve their experience with popups. More info: How to Create Website Exit Surveys|
Poptin is a fully automated lead generation platform with features for both B2B websites and eCommerce stores. Thanks to a simple drag-and-drop editor, you can create popups for capturing leads, gathering product feedback, and recovering abandoned carts.
- Three types of website popups (lightbox, slide-in, and full-screen) + bars
- Simple editor to customize popups in any way you want
- Basic targeting options (time delay, traffic source, scrolling, etc.)
Poptin offers a free plan for 1,000 monthly visitors. Paid plans begin at $19/mo with most features. The most feature-rich is the Agency plan, which goes for $99/mo.
Who is Poptin for?
This popup software is an excellent choice for marketing agencies and B2B companies. There’s a dedicated plan with team accounts, email autoresponders, subaccounts, and unlimited domains.
As an agency, you’ll also be able to create popups and lead capture forms for your clients. There’s an all-in-one dashboard to manage lead generation on clients’ websites, which will make your reporting easier.
|Want to collect visitors’ emails on your store? Here’s how to get more signups: The Ultimate Guide to Email Popups|
10. Popup Maker
Popup Maker is a new popup software that deserves attention. The app offers a range of must-have popup features, and its Shopify version already has a nice 4.8 rating. This means if you want to generate leads for your online website, Popup Maker is a good contender.
- Template library with 70+ customizable options
- Seven event-based popup types to increase sales, recover carts, and collect emails
- Campaign analytics to help users monitor the performance of popups and make changes
There are three paid plans (Silver, Gold, and Platinum) that go for $8.95, $18.95, and $28.95, respectively. The Gold plan has basic features for sales; Platinum is an option for major lead generation because it has a million pageviews and no limits.
Who is Popup Maker for?
Popup Maker is an affordable popup software with decent features. Shopify reviews from customers mention nice customer support, good popup customization options, and a simple user interface.
If these are must-have factors for you, consider giving Popup Maker a try. But remember that the app is still developing, so the functionality is a bit limited compared to other popup software options.
|Running your store on WooCommerce? Check out these 6 Inspiring WooCommerce Popup Campaign Examples to know how to increase your conversion rate.|
Qualzz is another new player among the best popup software options. It offers all of the essentials (targeting, exit intent, drag-and-drop builder, etc.) but little of the advanced features like visitor segmentation. Still, Qualzz has everything to generate leads and track performance.
- Library of professionally designed templates
- Real-time visitor tracking to see geolocations of visitors
- Analytics to define popups that bring in the most clicks and emails
A basic plan for 10,000 pageviews costs $10/mo. For a growing eCommerce website, you can choose the Growth plan ($59/mo for 200,000 pageviews).
Who is Qualzz for?
Consider Qualzz if you want simple popup software at an affordable rate. The app’s prices are budget-friendly, so you’re okay with the basic options, this popup builder should be good for your website.
Best Popup Software: Summary
That’s a wrap. Choosing a popup builder boils really down to several things. The best software should have advanced customer targeting, many templates, a straightforward popup editor, integrations with other apps, and useful analytics.
Once again, the best choices for a popup creator are:
- Hello Bar
- Popup Maker
If you’re still unsure, consider reading customer reviews on app platforms. Your fellow business owners should share enough details about their experiences with these popup software apps.